Complex Pain and Catastrophic Case Management Results
Paradigm Outcomes focuses exclusively on addressing the needs of those with catastrophic injuries and complex pain conditions. Paradigm’s comprehensive and collaborative approach leads to better medical and functional outcomes for the injured worker, and ultimately translates into substantial savings for our clients.
Acute Catastrophic Cases
Independently verified results for acute catastrophic cases:
- 5x better return to work rate1
- 40% lower lifetime medical and indemnity costs1
- One of a kind medical and financial outcome guarantees
Legacy Catastrophic Cases
Documented results for legacy catastrophic cases:
- 29% lower lifetime medical costs and reserves2
- 50% lower recurring physician visit costs3
- 28% lower nursing/personal assistant care costs3
- 22% lower pharmacy costs3
Chronic Pain Cases
Market leading results for complex pain conditions:
- 41% lower lifetime costs4
- 62% release to return to work and 55% decrease in morphine equivalents for emerging pain cases5
- 26% release to return to work and 70% decrease in morphine equivalents for chronic pain cases5
Independent actuarial and consulting firm Milliman, Inc. released a 2013 study measuring Paradigm Outcomes’ impact on return-to-work rates and claims costs for acute catastrophic cases. The researchers then compared Paradigm’s case management outcomes with a matched set of catastrophic and complex high cost injuries. Researchers observed that Paradigm Outcomes’ specialized methodology for complex and catastrophic case management yields far better results than the industry’s conventional case management approach.
Milliman researchers found that cases managed by Paradigm achieved return-to-work rates that exceeded industry standards by five times and averaged 40 percent lower lifetime costs. Milliman conducted an equivalent study in 2008 that reinforces the impact and consistency of Paradigm’s performance. The 2008 analysis observed Paradigm managed cases achieved lifetime savings of 36% and, again, 5 times higher return-to-work outcomes. Paradigm’s clinical and financial outcomes significantly outpaced the industry benchmarked cases.
In a 2009 study, Milliman researchers found that Paradigm also lowered medical complications and, therefore, reduced the lifetime reserves for legacy catastrophic cases. Specifically, the researchers observed that Paradigm lowered lifetime reserves by 29%, including 50% improvement in physician costs, 28% improvement in attendant care costs and 22% improvement in pharmacy costs.
In 2011, Milliman researchers released a study estimating that Paradigm reduces lifetime cost projections by 40.9% for pain claims. The reductions were the result of decreases in a number of cost elements, including physician services, pharmaceutical expenses, surgical interventions and future indemnity benefits.
1. Milliman, Inc., the nation’s leading actuarial and consulting firm, conducted an independent analysis comparing Paradigm cases to their proprietary database of similar workers’ compensation claims (2014 and 2008).
2. Milliman, Inc., the nation’s leading actuarial and consulting firm, conducted an independent analysis comparing Paradigm cases to their proprietary database of similar workers’ compensation claims (2009).
3. Comparisons conducted at case referral versus post-Paradigm management.
4. Milliman, Inc., the nation’s leading actuarial and consulting firm, conducted an independent analysis comparing Paradigm cases to their proprietary database of similar workers’ compensation claims (2011).
5. Clinical outcomes based on Paradigm cases completed from 2013–2015.